Saturday, April 16, 2016

Things I am not OK with

Here's a limit I never knew I had.

I'm very middle aged.  I work in a very quiet-seeming field.  My social circles never contained drug dealers, not that I knew of.

Until I moved to New York.

The guy I'd been seeing, a would-be comedy writer who is not funny, is also, on the side, dealing marijuana.  When I heard this I gave it some thought.  Did I care?  Should I care?

Even before this I'd thought that marijuana is no worse for people than alcohol is, and might be significantly better, psychologically.  And the legal situation has been changing so much lately.  So, no, I decided, I didn't care. Though I did find it odd to even have to be thinking about this at my age.  And since then, a matter of several months, it hasn't been a problem.

Until tonight, getting ready for a date we'd planned out many weeks ago, I get a text that he might be delayed due to "a deal" and that he'll keep me updated.

OK... no.

Nope, that's it.  That's my limit.

Many years ago I'd been pursued by a former convict who was still on the sex offender registry.  Nope, I thought, that's it.  I'm out.  I'm not dating someone on the sex offender registry.

And I'm not tolerating being stood up due to a drug deal. 

****************

Except that's not really how it happened.

I'd written that post in the time leading up to the date, anticipating being stood up.  As it was, I wasn't stood up so much as the date was delayed.  What was supposed to be a dinner date followed by an event became just the event.  And the tickets had been bought and I wanted to go to the event, so I thought, screw it, and went ahead on the now half-a-date.

But I'm glad I thought about it.  This guy isn't a bad guy per se....  Well, maybe he is.  He's certainly working in two different unethical jobs (I'm not describing the other one here right now).  But I need to be with someone more clearly "not a bad guy".  Someone who's a good guy.

That's what I need to put effort into right now.  Even if I haven't yet kicked the drug dealer to the curb.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment