Years ago I was approached by a guy about seven years younger than I was. Friends and I dubbed him "Way Too Young Guy" (WTYG). I mean, he was a legal adult and all, very much so. But way too young for me, with all that entails.
A friend declared that we should all work our way through a set of "Way Too... " guys. Way Too Young. Way Too Old. Way Too in the Cab of a Truck. She's totally right.
Somehow, in New York, I'm attracting and being attracted to a bunch of Way Too Young Guys. Or maybe they're just Young Guys. Even though the age differences have been greater than the First WTYG, they haven't felt that young to me. Not Way Too Young, at least.
I went on a dinner date with one of them yesterday. He's a decent enough guy, but the conversational match just wasn't there. It was awkward and halting all the way through. Near the end of the evening I decided to just go ahead and tell him that I was feeling more friend-y toward him than date-y, and wished him the best.
And then I realized a super handy thing about dating Way Too Young Guys. When the time comes to cut them loose, it's handy to be able to blame the age difference and nothing more personal. Then, once the age difference is blamed, it crystalizes in my mind, and becomes an actual barrier.
Handy!
A friend declared that we should all work our way through a set of "Way Too... " guys. Way Too Young. Way Too Old. Way Too in the Cab of a Truck. She's totally right.
Somehow, in New York, I'm attracting and being attracted to a bunch of Way Too Young Guys. Or maybe they're just Young Guys. Even though the age differences have been greater than the First WTYG, they haven't felt that young to me. Not Way Too Young, at least.
I went on a dinner date with one of them yesterday. He's a decent enough guy, but the conversational match just wasn't there. It was awkward and halting all the way through. Near the end of the evening I decided to just go ahead and tell him that I was feeling more friend-y toward him than date-y, and wished him the best.
And then I realized a super handy thing about dating Way Too Young Guys. When the time comes to cut them loose, it's handy to be able to blame the age difference and nothing more personal. Then, once the age difference is blamed, it crystalizes in my mind, and becomes an actual barrier.
Handy!
No comments:
Post a Comment