A pattern I'm seeing in online dating profiles are guys who are proud to have been born in New York City and never lived anywhere else. Maybe they went away for college, but they came back, and stayed.
I wouldn't begrudge a person choosing to live where they want to, finding a place where they fit, and are happy. But I think that experiencing different places is an important part of getting there.
When I lived in Texas I'd meet people who'd only lived in Texas, and would only live in Texas. "It's the best state in the nation!" And, well, Texas is pretty big. There's reasonable variety between places in Texas. But still, that attitude seemed really provincial.
Now, here, these guys are proud to have only lived within a 13-mile-long island.
Sure, there's variety in New York, diversity, but not enough to keep me from thinking that these guys are also... provincial.
New York is small. It's physically small. The population is actually pretty small. You re-meet the same people. I see the same repeat strangers, even in parts of town I'm not in regularly.
Living forever in New York isn't like living forever in Paducah. I recognize the diversity of the population, and the experiences a person can have here. But still, there are limits. It's a less limited perspective than if they'd grown up somewhere smaller, but still it's a limited perspective.
And yet these folks are proud of it, they brag about it.
They don't realize that I'm not the one to brag that particular brag to.
I wouldn't begrudge a person choosing to live where they want to, finding a place where they fit, and are happy. But I think that experiencing different places is an important part of getting there.
When I lived in Texas I'd meet people who'd only lived in Texas, and would only live in Texas. "It's the best state in the nation!" And, well, Texas is pretty big. There's reasonable variety between places in Texas. But still, that attitude seemed really provincial.
Now, here, these guys are proud to have only lived within a 13-mile-long island.
Sure, there's variety in New York, diversity, but not enough to keep me from thinking that these guys are also... provincial.
New York is small. It's physically small. The population is actually pretty small. You re-meet the same people. I see the same repeat strangers, even in parts of town I'm not in regularly.
Living forever in New York isn't like living forever in Paducah. I recognize the diversity of the population, and the experiences a person can have here. But still, there are limits. It's a less limited perspective than if they'd grown up somewhere smaller, but still it's a limited perspective.
And yet these folks are proud of it, they brag about it.
They don't realize that I'm not the one to brag that particular brag to.
No comments:
Post a Comment